Tuesday, May 24, 2011

To remember

Two days to go and this school year will be in the past.  Today it feels like it cannot come quickly enough!  But, I now myself well enough to know that I won't feel this way on Thursday at 3:24.  So, I'm going to try and make a list of things to remember about this school year (in no particular order):

1.  I discovered YA books - and love them.
2.  I convinced my son and HUSBAND to read.
3.  My husband is the best judge of YA books for the boys in my classes.
4.  I love working with my daughter!
5.  It is essential to have at least one friend at work who you can trust completely.  This year, I discovered I have that person!
6.  I saw a student's heart truly broken when her best friend was killed.  I saw her deal with that pain in her writing - and was humbled to be a part of the process.
7.  I am not always more mature than an 8th grader.
8.  I am too tired tonight to make this list!  It sounds stilted and disjointed and inpersonal.  But, I am determined to post tonight. 
9.  I will reread my writer's notebook from this year and use that to be sure I remember these amazing kids and the things we did.
10.  I still love teaching.

178 days down.  2 to go...

6 comments:

  1. i love this list! it has inspired me to make my own... I think of things I will miss when I watch my (almost) second graders acting so mature during the day. But, later on, the beauty of it escapes me. I will have to scribble down some thoughts tomorrow! Thanks for sharing your "reflections" on the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your list. I smiled and agreed with some, paused to be sad about loss, and giggled about lack of adult maturity sometimes. A great reminder of an exceptional moment in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something in the day must have inspired you to make the list now! Good words to keep the class with you a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your To Remember list. It is such a good idea. It makes me happy that you brought your son and husband to the Reading side of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't the time fly! Thanks for the reminder to reflect on my year. I still have 2 weeks to go

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great list and I'm so glad you did it...and that I read it. I'm having a tough time saying goodbye to this year, and now I am wondering if making a list is a good way to go.

    ReplyDelete