Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Writing with my kids!

My 8th graders are neck-deep in creating multigenre projects...This is my favorite time of my year.  The classroom literally hums with their creativity and I love popping from desk to desk and hearing all the different ideas.  This year I have kids writing about dogs, their best friend dying (this year!), anorexia, soccer, murder, immigration, imaginary creatures...you name it, they are writing it.  One genre lots of kids are trying is a recipe - it makes me stop and think to see what they come up with for the "ingredients" of their theme or focus.  This weekend I wrote a recipe of my own.  Here it goes...:

Happy Classroom

1 teacher, passionate and flexible (no substitutes!)
20 - 30 students, an assortments of backgrounds, skill levels, and talent is best
3 C willingness to take risks
1/2 C imagination
3 Tbs understanding of the writing process
1 C revision, divided
2 tsp peer feedback
1 tsp honest teacher feedback

Combine teacher and students in a large room, preferably one with windows.  Fold in willingness to take risks.  Whip together understanding and imagination.  Carefully add to first mixture making sure not to overmix or mixture will collapse.  Cover and let rise at least one day.

After at least 24 hours, stir down mixture.  Whisk 1/2 C revision with peer and teacher feedback.  Add to mixture.  Continue to add revision until mixture holds together on its own.  Bake in medium oven (375) until golden.

This classroom will improve as it is shared with as many others as possible.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Love this recipe Ann. I think the measurements and directions are just-right!
    --Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so impressed with the way you combined a recipe with the classroom! love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool! Love it and wish I were in your classroom--especially during this time of year. I know these projects are really energizing for the kids and the teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of a recipe & your end of the year projects! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this idea and your sample recipe. It really makes you focus on all of the pieces...a perfect project for the end of the year. I'd love to see some of your students recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah multi genre gets me again! i'm about to change grades!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are so many ideas I love about your recipe, & I am sure it came out quite tasty, with good slices all around. One of the good lines I liked: "Continue to add revision until mixture holds together on its own." I bet your students enjoyed this very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful! Kids would love to do this. I'd like to try it myself. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a perfect recipe! I like the idea of students creating their own.

    ReplyDelete