Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Renovate

I'm a word nerd.  It's true.  I LOVE words.  In fact, one of the first things I do every year with my students is share Maya Angelou's wonderful poem "I Love the Look of Words" and talk about words we all love or wonder about.  We make a special section in the classroom where we collect words throughout the year - words that make us stop and pay attention, or words that sound funny or interesting, or words that we simply like (I love the word "sasparilla," no reason, I just do).  And pretty early on all of my students learn that whenever we work on vocabulary we are going to also look at what the word means, at its part and try to figure out why it means what we accept it to mean. 

So, what does this have to do with my title - with "renovate"?  This weekend my husband and I started renovating our kitchen. It's our 30th anniversary and 50th birthday presents to each other. In all honesty my husband will do the majority of the work, but I will help when he lets me (I'm not nearly the perfectionist he is!).  Being the scary nerd I am, I had to check on its meaning.  Here is what I found:

re (again - already knew that one, I use it all the time with "revise" - to look again!)
nov - Latin, new
ate - suffix used to make verbs

So renovate means to make new again.  Duh.  I knew that.  And I know that what we are doing is making something new.  We are finally getting rid of the AWFUL linoleum and countertops we have hated since we moved in.  We are giving the walls a new coat of paint.  And we are bringing new energy and enthusaism to the space.

This is what summer means for me, too.  Renovate.  I come back to school after 10 weeks or so "made new," ready to try new things, to look differently at things that have been the same for too long.  We always say we need to rejuvenate (to make young again)...but what we really need is to renovate.  I'm going to give it a try....along with trying to figure out how to use the nail gun!

6 comments:

  1. You totally rock--and so does this post! I think that what you do with words is cool (or maybe I'm a nerd too, which is more than likely) and loved how you linked the meaning of the word, your kitchen renovation (hooray for you!) and your return to school at the end of summer.
    Have I told you lately that I'm glad you're my friend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved how you are renovating your kitchen and self. Too bad I can't manage to rejuvenate (make young again) each year. I'll settle for renovating as well. Good luck with the kitchen AND the nail gun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your perspective on words! Good luck with the kitchen, maybe you'll learn a whole new vocabulary related to renovating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, when I read this, I thought of Ruth right away...she's also a word nerd!

    Second, I love how you tied it into teaching...definitely makes me think and renovate my own thinking.

    Happy renovating! Congrats on the anniversary and birthdays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the nail gun... just remember-- don't point it at yourself! I love the idea of keeping a running record of words that strike us. One word that has always stuck out to me is rhubarb! I like the way it sounds- kind of clunky and hearty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's such a terrific way to connect your summer with what's personal as well as what's professional. I like your love of words that wrapped it all up so nicely, & wish I could renovate something this summer as well in my house, but may have to settle for just me before returning to work.

    ReplyDelete