Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Boys and Girls

Boys and girls.  We all know they are different.  Just look around your house, your classroom, any restaurant.  We think and react in very different ways.  I've considered myself a bit of an expert in this matter, after all, I have 2 girls and 1 boy.  I pretty much know it all.  Right?  Right? Right.

Enter the dreaded college application.  Ten years ago our oldest daughter was a senior. She interviewed colleges (visits and online), gathered her required materials, and submitted her applications.  I had almost no responsibility.  Six years went by and daughter number 2 entered the college application world.  Again, she did the research, gathered the materials and submitted the applications.

And then there is the baby...and the boy.  About to begin his senior year, he doesn't need to visit any colleges.  He knows his choice already.  Well, that's fine since it's Purdue, but they won't let you in without an application.  What?  Application?  What's that?  Who's going to fill that out?  They want an essay?!  This is way too much work.

Now, the application is done. Submitted.  Fingers crossed.  But it took a lot of work. I had to bite my tongue and the inside of my cheek more than once as I forced (his words, not mine) him to complete the work after football practice - the horror!

Boys and girls.  They couldn't be more different.  I thought I knew that.  But I was wrong!

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear....my first one to go through this will be a boy. Maybe I'd better start him now.
    Of course, I'm counting on my daughter's English teacher to set her on the right path. That's not asking too much, right? Right?!

    Tell your boy-child I have my fingers crossed for him and that if you hadn't been there "forcing" him, I'd have done it.

    ReplyDelete