Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Yes, I am a nerd

It is true.  So far on my Spring Break, I have read 1 1/2 professional journals.  Not only have I read them, I've highlighted, annotated, and made plans based on my reading.  And I'm excited.  And I liked doing it.  So, I am a teaching nerd.  I love, love, love reading about teaching English, thinking about teaching English, and trying out new ways to teach English. 

I haven't only read journals.  I'm reading 2 other books for pleasure.  I'm relaxing.  I'm watching too much tv.  I'm even making time for my elliptical machine. But, I love reading my journals.  I have my (yellow only!) highlighter.  My Sharpie black fine-tip pen.  My sticky notes.  I make notes.  I think.  I decide what to try.  And I hope I won't forget it all in the rush of everyday school. 

So, it's true.  I am a nerd - an English teaching, learning, trying nerd.

3 comments:

  1. Wow...I'm impressed! You've done all that AND started to blog! :)
    I have not done a bit of professional reading yet this break. I've been reading for fun, met with my writing group, blogged, and have been doing other stuff. Guess I'd better try to squeeze a little professional reading and thinking in too--cause I'm a teaching nerd too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Ruth - you know you are my model. From the day I walked into Reade's 2nd grade classroom, I knew you were the teacher I wanted to become. I'm just trying to catch up with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to let you know, I love reading professional books and magazines too (about reading). I love when the catalogs come from Stenhouse and Heinemann.

    ReplyDelete